Public Art and Sculpture

Hurley C. Goodall

Hurley C. Goodall

This life-sized, bronze statue of Hurley C. Goodall is located in Fireman’s Park at the northwest corner of Madison and Jackson Streets. Muncie Arts and Culture Council is honored to spotlight the Dedication of the Hurley C. Goodall Statue as a “10 for 10...

Extess

Extess

Extess is the newest and perhaps most colorful public art installation in Muncie. Dedicated in the new Cornerstone Park at the corner of Main and Madison streets, Extess was commissioned by the City of Muncie from PROJECTiONE – a local fabrication company....

We’re Trying Collective Mural

We’re Trying Collective Mural

We're Trying Collective Mural The mural was the inaugural collaborative project from We're Trying Collective, for the City of Muncie. Following the tragic events at the Orlando Pulse Nightclub, the collective was inspired to work hand-in-hand with the...

Bison-Tennial

Bison-Tennial

Bison-Tennial Artist, Denise King Lenape Native American design Click here to learn more about the Delaware County Bison-Tennial project. Photo courtesy of Denise King Upcoming Events Download the guide View and download the...

Hold On

Hold On

Downtown Muncie Bronze by Steven Clark. Installed 2010. Located in the South Wing of the IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital. Upcoming Events Download the guide View and download the latest Muncie, Indiana Visitors Guide! 3700 S....

Virgin Mary and Child Jesus

Virgin Mary and Child Jesus

V. Morodor made the Statue of Virigin Mary with Baby Jesus in 1951. Located in a triangle between sidewalks at St. Mary School. The statue is part of the school's 'May Crowning' ceremony.

Two Laughing Children Playing

Two Laughing Children Playing

A bronze fountain on a concrete base on the west side of the E.B. and Bertha C. Ball Center. Two children sit opposite one another in a round basin, one laughing and the other hiding its face from the water. The sculpture is signed "Grace Halen Talbot."

Shephard

Shephard

Richard Kishel made this fiberglass statue of Jesus in front of the Fountain Square United Methodist Church of Muncie. The statue was put in place in 1981.

Forest Idyll

Forest Idyll

Created by Albin Polasek in 1930, Forest Idyll commonly referred to by students as the "naked Lady" the bronze statue facing the south entrance of Bracken Library on the campus of Ball State University. The Statue is a common meeting place for students and even groups...

Frog Baby

Frog Baby

The bronze sculpture of the chubby-cheeked little girl dangling two frogs by their feet and smiling up at the sky has become legendary at Ball State over the years as a good luck charm and a popular meeting place. She was cast by the late American sculptor...

Bronze Baby

Bronze Baby

This sculpture, "Bronze Baby," was originally on the site of the Frank C. Ball home. Margaret Ball Petty, daughter of Frank C. Ball, later owned the statue. It was created by Brenda Putnam in 1916. The sculpture is currently displayed, during warm weather, in the pool...

Awakening Potential

Awakening Potential

This 8 1/2 foot tall bronze sculpture was created in 2006 by Delaware County artist Kenneth G. Ryden. the sculpture features a young girl and boy standing on a stump with tree sprouts emerging from their hands. The sprouting tree symbolizes the awakening potential...

X Notion, Like a J

X Notion, Like a J

X Notion, Like a J A steel sculpture by Lila Katzen (1926-1998). Gifted to Ball State University by Mr. and Mrs. Sidney M. Feldman 1978. Upcoming Events Download the guide View and download the latest Muncie, Indiana Visitors...

Wishing Well

Wishing Well

The Wishing Well was once the focal point of a garden on the grounds of the Frank C. Ball home. It was purchased in Venice by Mr. and Mrs. Ball. The maker is unknown. Following the 1967 fire, the Wishing Well was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Ball...

Will O’ The Wisp

Will O’ The Wisp

The fountain is located at the end of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. This garden also includes the Colonnade Gates and the Colonnade Columns. The sculpture shows a girl standing on the back of a turtle. The...

Threshold of Knowledge

Threshold of Knowledge

Created in 2001 by Delaware County Sculptor, Kenneth G. Ryden, this sculpture portrays a bronze figure of a medical intern stepping through a 10 foot tall stainless steel arch. The arch represents a gateway to new discoveries in medicine and the passage from intern to...

Sonata

Sonata

The glass sculpture is an etched blue crystal multi-dimensional disk created by noted glass artist Christopher Ries. The sculpture, donated by Patricia Schaefer, weighs more than 700 pounds and is nearly 7 feet tall including its pedestal base. The sculpture was...

Shafer Tower

Shafer Tower

Every 15 minutes, 48 custom-made bells covering four octaves ring out across the Ball State campus from Shafer Tower. As the crowning glory of the north end of campus, Shafer Tower rises 150 feet in the air from the middle of McKinley Avenue. The tower is named after...

Passing of the Buffalo

Passing of the Buffalo

The Last Arrow. The 1929 Cyrus E. Dallin (American 1861-1944) sculpture was purchased by Edmund F. Petty in 1975, who proposed that it be acquired as a tribute to his father, Fred J. Petty. In 1976, the memorial was donated to the City of Muncie and was installed at...

Night Song

Night Song

A bronze sculpture by artist Joe Beeler dedicated on December 9, 1998. Donated to the City of Muncie by the Sherman & Marjorie Zeigler Foundation to be the centerpiece of Riverbend Park.

McDonald’s Sign

McDonald’s Sign

Installed in 1958 this historic McDonald's sign is one of only two remaining of its kind. The sign was restored in 2006 and again in 2013.  

Maxi-Antecedent II

Maxi-Antecedent II

Created by artist Lila Katzen (American 1926-1998). Vertically-placed rectangular steel piece with shapes cut out from the top and sides. The cut out pieces remain partially attached and either bend toward the ground or out to the side. Erected 1978. A gift of Mr. and...

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

The Lumberjack graces the property of Timbers Lounge on the corner of Tillitson Ave and Kilgore Ave

Depot Lintel

Depot Lintel

Originally from Union Depot located at 630 S. High St., Muncie. The building was demolished in 1990 and the stone along with other artifacts were saved and given to the East Central Reinvestment Corp. which was leading the fight to save the station. ECRC has given the...

Light Symphony

Light Symphony

Colored glass and light are combining to create a mammoth work of art in the foyer of Ball State's Music Instruction Building. The unique 23-by-40-foot 3-D light painting by artist Stephen Knapp (American born 1947). Art critics have called Knapp's lightpaintings the...

Illumination

Illumination

The 7 foot bronze sculpture was created in 1998 by Delaware County artist Kenneth G. Ryden. A winged sprite-like figure balances gracefully on a symbolic stack of books. The sculpture depicts the dawn of understanding as revealed in the awakened human intelligence....

Greenway Graffiti

Greenway Graffiti

Organized graffiti artists use bridges and walls along the Greenway as their canvas.   Photo courtesy of The Star Press

George McCulloch Memorial

George McCulloch Memorial

A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite. George McCulloch was the president of Muncie Foundry & Machine Company and the owner of the Muncie Morning Star newspaper. In 1901,...

Gazebo

Gazebo

William H. & Agnes Metzger Ball built one of the first homes in what became known as Westwood, a housing development in west Muncie. In 1939, the Balls attended the World’s Fair in New York. There they saw a wrought iron gazebo which was designed by an artist...

Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)

Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)

The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is...

Five Points Fountain

Five Points Fountain

When Hermon Lee Ensing of Philadelphia died in 1899, founder of National Humane Alliance, he bequeathed money to place throughout the United States a series of water fountains for animals. By 1911 about 130 fountains had been erected in cities in 44 states. The...

Fireflies

Fireflies

Artist Paul Moore Fireflies was sculpted in 1995 and was cast in bronze. Paul Moore is a Fellow and Board Member of the National Sculpture Society. His work is in the U.S. Capital Collection and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, both in Washington, DC. His...

Courthouse Architecture

Courthouse Architecture

The three statues are from the Courthouse which stood at 100 W. Main St. which was built in 1885 and razed in 1966. The Indian or Indian and His Dog and the two women Agriculture and Industry were carved on the Courthouse Square under a tent while the courthouse was...

Colonnade Gates

Colonnade Gates

The wrought iron Colonnade Gates were commissioned by William and Agnes Ball for their Westwood home. The Colonnade Gates are located near the end of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. The gates were designed and...

Colonnade Columns

Colonnade Columns

The Colonnade Columns are the focal point of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. These columns originally graced the porte-cochere (to the right of the front portico) and the small porch to the left of the front...

Catalyst

Catalyst

Catalyst was commissioned for Minnetrista by Virginia B. Ball to honor her husband, Edmund F. Ball. The design represents partnership, giving and stewardship which were important ideals of Mr. Ball. It was also intended to represent a century of giving by the Ball...

Beneficence

Beneficence

In its almost sixty years on campus, this bronze statue has become the symbol of Ball State University. It was the last commissioned work of renowned sculptor of his time Daniel Chester French (American 1850-1931), best known as the sculptor of the Abraham Lincoln...

Appeal to the Great Spirit

Appeal to the Great Spirit

The statue, owned by the City of Muncie, is a memorial to Edmund B. Ball. After his death in 1925, his family searched for a suitable memorial to him. They settled on a replica of the “Appeal to the Great Spirit” cast in bronze, and erected on a site just...

Alice Nichols

Alice Nichols

Created by artist Tuck Langland commissioned by John Surovek to honor Alice Nichols, a former chair of the university’s art department. “She was as much a friend to me as she was a mentor. I can’t imagine how many other people she helped in the way she helped me.”...

Upcoming Events

GET SOCIAL

Download the guide

Muncie Calendar

 

Contact Us

765-284-2700
800-568-6862
765-284-3002 (fax)

Business Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.

 

 

 

Find Us

3700 S. Madison St.
Muncie, Indiana 47302
765-284-2700
Directions/Location