George McCulloch Memorial

George McCulloch Memorial

George McCulloch Memorial

 

A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite.

George McCulloch was the president of Muncie Foundry & Machine Company and the owner of the Muncie Morning Star newspaper. In 1901, George McCulloch donated the land which makes up McCulloch Park to the city. He specified that the land must be used as a public park for the free use by all people that lived in the city. A memorial to George McCulloch has been relocated at the park’s southern boundary along McCulloch Blvd., in a triangular traffic median in between McCulloch Park Dr.

Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)

Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)

Fountain of Joy (Rabbit Fountain)

 

The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is currently displayed in the garden at Oakhurst. The fountain was created in 1916 by Helen Farnsworth Mears. The statue is marked: “Helen Farnsworth Mears fecit 1916.” (“Fecit” is Latin for made.)

Fireflies

Fireflies

Fireflies

 

Artist Paul Moore Fireflies was sculpted in 1995 and was cast in bronze. Paul Moore is a Fellow and Board Member of the National Sculpture Society. His work is in the U.S. Capital Collection and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, both in Washington, DC. His sculptures have been collected by numerous municipal, corporate, private and international institutions. This statue is located at the Muncie Children’s Museum.

Beneficence

Beneficence

Beneficence

 

For over 80 years on campus, this bronze statue has become the symbol of Ball State University. It was the last commissioned work of renowned sculptor of his time Daniel Chester French (American 1850-1931), best known as the sculptor of the Abraham Lincoln statue in the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. The settings and columns for Beneficence were designed by prominent East Coast architect Richard Henry Dana.

The statue was commissioned by the Muncie Chamber of Commerce as a public monument to the generosity of the Ball brothers, each of whom is represented by one of the five Corinthian columns. The bronze statue was completed in 1930 and installed in 1937.

 

 

Alice Nichols

Alice Nichols

Alice Nichols

 

Created by artist Tuck Langl and commissioned by John Surovek. Bust honoring life, work, and teaching of professor Alice Nichols, a former chair of the university’s art department. Located at the north entrance of the Art Instruction Building on Ball State University campus. Installed in 2008