Emens Auditorium at Ball State University

Emens Auditorium at Ball State University

Ball State University’s sixth president, John R. Emens (1945-1968), had a dream. He envisioned a “campus of the future” complete with an auditorium “large enough to house most college functions as well as major symphonies, Broadway productions, ballets, and other forms of entertainment for Muncie and east central Indiana audiences.”
Planning for the auditorium began as early as 1947, but the U-shaped building was not actually built until 1961. The structure includes the Hargreeves Music Building, Arts and Communications Building, and the 410-seat University Theatre.
Emens’ dream was finally realized on March 14-15, 1964, when the auditorium gave its first performances in the form of a “sneak preview,” and then it was officially dedicated on Oct. 25 the same year.
In its first 25 years alone, more than 3.6 million people visited the then 3,581-seat auditorium to see 2,335 programs. The legendary acoustic, scalloped ceiling, and state-of-the-art sound capabilities of Emens Auditorium account for the attraction of many artists to performing in this facility.
Since the grand opening in 1964, many world renowned artists, individuals, musicians, and shows have graced the stage of Emens Auditorium. Legendary performances range from Louis Armstrong, David Letterman, Willie Nelson, Stevie Wonder, B.B. King, Bob Dylan, Magician David Copperfield, comedian Adam Sandler, musical Cats and Les Miserables, Red Skelton, Vince Gill, The Temptations, Third Eye Blind, and REO Speedwagon (pictured).
Garfield Statue Trail

Garfield Statue Trail

Looking for more ways to have fun with Garfield in Muncie and Delaware County? Great! How about a selfie with each of the Garfield celebration statues? Have fun discovering all of the different theme painted statues.

Jim Davis is the creator of the comic strip Garfield.  He was born in Fairmount, IN and graduated from Ball State University. His headquarters, PAWS, INC, was located in Delaware County for decades.

Visit 17 unique statues of America’s favorite lasagna-loving fat cat, Garfield. Located in and around Muncie, the statues are molded in rigid polymer and situated on a 31 inch base. Each statue measures approximately 48 inches in height and depict Jim Davis’s Garfield in fun outfits or playful situations. The statues are located in public and private spaces

The Garfield Statues are located:

  • Muncie Visitors Bureau (statue and ride)  –  421 S Walnut St, Muncie  –  Mon -Fri 8:30am – 4:30pm
  • City Hall/Mayor’s Office  –  300 N High St, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri 8am – 4pm
  • American Red Cross  –  325 E Washington St, Muncie  –  in window display
  • Cornerstone Center for the Arts (2 statues)  –  520 E Main St, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri  8am – 8pm
  • Muncie Children’s Museum  –  515 S High St, Muncie  –  (closed Mon & Tue)  Wed – Sat 10am – 5pm, Sun 1pm – 5pm
  • United Way  –  (in the Star Bank Bldg) 400 N High St, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri  9am – 5pm
  • The Orchard Shop at Minnetrista  –  311 w St Joseph St, Muncie  – (closed Mon & Tue)  Wed – Sat 9 -5pm, Sun 12 – 5pm
  • Animal Rescue Fund  –  1209 W Riggin Rd, Muncie  –  Outdoors – (closed Mon, Fri, and Sun)  Tue – Thur  1pm – 4pm,
  • BSU Alumni Center  –  2800 W Bethel Ave, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri  8am – 5pm
  • Motivate Our Minds  –  2023 E Highland Ave, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri   9am – 5pm
  • Ball State Bookstore  –  1101 N McKinley Ave, Muncie  –  Mon – Thur  8am – 7pm, Fri  8am – 5pm, Sat 10am -3pm
  • Delaware County Building  –  100 W Main St, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri  8:30am – 4pm
  • The Mailroom  –  4801 N Wheeling Ave, Muncie  –  Mon – Fri  9am – 7pm, Sat 10am – 4pm
  • Imaging Center – 2598 W White River Blvd, Muncie – Mon -Fri  8am – 5pm
  • The Clubhouse @ Accutech – 115 S Walnut St, Muncie – (Closed Mon – Tue) Wed – Thurs  11am – 9pm, Fri – Sat  11am – 10pm, Sun 11am – 8pm
  • The Frozen Boulder – 8919 W Adaline St, Yorktown – Mon – Thurs 1pm – 10pm, Fri – Sat 1pm – 11pm, Sun 1pm – 9pm

Taking a trip along the Garfield trail is a great family activity and presents a number of fun photo opportunities.


Things to Bring: Camera, friends and family.

Stop by the Muncie Visitors Bureau to find additional Garfield items for sale.







In 1887, the Ball family—makers of the famous Ball mason jars—moved their glass manufacturing business from Buffalo, New York to Muncie, Indiana. The Ball brothers (pictured) and their families left a lasting impression on the Muncie community, creating philanthropic organizations (like Ball Brothers Foundation and George & Frances Ball Foundation), an educational institution (Ball State University), and the year-round gathering place of Minnetrista.

The current site of Minnetrista is located on the same property where the Ball family lived. In fact, many of the original Ball family homes stand today; all but one of the brothers’ homes are still standing and they make for a beautiful walk along the Boulevard, and a few are open to the public for various programs and events.

Due to its location along the White River, the family chose to name the property Minnetrista, meaning “a gathering place by the water.” The name is derived from the Sioux word “mna” (pronounced “mini”), which means “water,” and the English word “tryst.”

The origin of Minnetrista as we know it today—a cultural museum and public gathering place—dates back to 1978, when Margaret Ball Petty wrote to her cousin Edmund F. Ball, suggesting that the Ball Brothers Foundation provide a museum in which to exhibit fine art. A four-year study of the cultural needs of East Central Indiana determined that top priority should be given to the construction of a state-of-the-art facility to preserve the cultural heritage of the region. Ground was broken March 14, 1987 and Minnetrista Cultural Center opened December 10, 1988.

Stop by and check out the large collection of Ball Canning Jars on display at Minnetrista.

1200 N Minnetrista Pkwy, Muncie, Indiana
(765) 282-4848



Moore-Youse Historical Museum

Moore-Youse Historical Museum

The Moore–Youse Home Museum, is a historic home located is Muncie, IN.  It was built about 1860, and is a two-story, three bay, vernacular Greek Revival style frame dwelling. It features a rebuilt front porch with sawnwork and brackets. It has a two-story rear addition. The house remained in the same family from 1864 to 1982. The building is operated by the Delaware County Historical Society as a historic house museum.

122 E Washington St, Muncie, IN

(765) 282-1550



Muncie Children’s Museum

Muncie Children’s Museum

The Muncie Children’s Museum (Indiana’s second largest children’s museum) opened its doors in 1977. During the planning process for the museum, it was decided that all exhibits would require participation and interaction from the children. These exhibits would also be fun, raise questions, provoke interest and stimulate curiosity. This philosophy remains to this day, the backbone of the Muncie Children’s Museum. In 1996, museum moved to its present location connected to the Horizon Convention Center. This new location tripled its size from the previous location. Over the years, the Muncie Children’s Museum has successfully brought educational entertainment to the children of East Central Indiana.

515 S High St, Muncie, Indiana
(765) 286-1660