Indiana Glass Trail

A Legacy Etched in Glass: The Ball Brothers in Muncie

Legacy explores the lives of five brothers – George, Frank, Edmund, William, and Lucius Ball as they moved their glass manufacturing business from Buffalo, New York to Muncie in the 1880s. The film pays particular attention to the wide ¬ranging philanthropic efforts of the family over the past 120 years, including the creation of Ball State University.

The full film is available online at: http://vimeo.com/96710414

The documentary recently won five international Accolade Awards: three awards of excellence for cinematography, lighting, and animation; and two awards of merit for directing and best short documentary.

Funded by the Ball Brothers Foundation in 2013, the documentary is one part of a larger project exploring community development initiatives in Muncie. An additional series about Muncie’s quality of life efforts titled Primacy of Place and a short documentary series about non-¬profit organizations in Delaware County are being produced concurrently. Both series will debut fully in spring 2015.

The Department of Telecommunications is proud to present a documentary about the five Ball Brothers – A Legacy Etched in Glass: The Ball Brothers in Muncie.  To learn more about the project, please contact Chris Flook at caflook@bsu.edu or visit:http://welovetcom.com/ballbrothers/

 

Also Visit

Columbus 800-468-6564
Hamilton County 800-776-8687
Kokomo/Howard County 800-837-0971
Project made possible by the Indiana Artisan
ICAA: Indiana Glass Arts Alliance Open to any individual or organization with an interest in the glass arts, such as experienced and new collectors, artists, gallery owners, educators and the general public.
National Fenton Glass Society, Inc.To promote the study and understanding of handmade glass, the handmade glass industry, and especially glass made by the Fenton Art Glass Company.
Ball Center

E.B. and Bertha C. Ball Home

Built in 1907, originally named Nebosham, this was the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Ball. The home has been beautifully restored and is used for educational programs but is also available for scheduled tours.

Ed’s Glass and More Factory Outlet

Trailers arriving almost everyday bringing overstocked, discontinued, returns and seconds of merchandise. They have thousands of different items in their inventory. Glass, candles, home decor and more.

Fruit Jar Club

The Midwest Antique Fruit Jar Club is an organization of people interested in collecting and learning about fruit jars and bottles. While the club is headquartered in Indiana they have members from all over the country. A jar show/sale/swap is held twice a year in Muncie.

Jay County

Dunkirk Glass MuseumDunkirk – The Glass Capital of Indiana

Dunkirk Glass Museum
127 W. Washington St., Dunkirk 765-768-6872
The museum features extensive displays of glassware, tools and exhibits which tell the history of glass manufacturing in east central Indiana. Group tours can be arranged in the off season. Admission $2.00/person. Children under 11 free with adult. Open May 1 through October 31, Tues. through Sat. 11:00a.m. – 4:00p.m.

Dunkirk Glass Days Festival, Downtown Dunkirk
Glass museum tours, factory tours food, free entertainment, amusement rides, parade on Saturday
765-768-6872 Dunkirk Glass Museum
Verallia Glass Factory
Factory Tours during Glass Days Festival
Dunkirk 765-768-6872

The Glass Bonzi
110 S. Meridian St., Portland 260-726-7350
Stained glass, gifts, specialty coffees

Light Symphony

Colored glass and light are combining to create a mammoth work of art in the foyer of Ball State’s Music Instruction Building. The unique 23-by-40-foot 3-D light painting by artist Stephen Knapp (American born 1947).

Art critics have called Knapp’s lightpaintings the first new art form of the 21st century. Some of his better-known, large-scale lightpaintings and glass sculptures include “Luminous Affirmations” in Tampa, Fla., and the “Crystal Quilt” in Lincoln, Nebraska.

After months of planning, Knapp constructed the lightpainting near his Worcester, Mass., studio. Once the lightpainting was tested, it was then dismantled, shipped and installed in the Music Instruction Building 2006.