Presented to the citizens of Muncie by Gallery 308. Sculpture by Artist Sally A. Myers
Organized graffiti artists use bridges and walls along the Greenway as their canvas.
Photo courtesy of The Star Press
A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite.
William H. & Agnes Metzger Ball built one of the first homes in what became known as Westwood, a housing development in west Muncie. In 1939, the Balls attended the World’s Fair in New York. There they saw a wrought iron gazebo which was designed by an artist working for the Nashville Foundry in Nashville, Tennessee. The gazebo won first place in the category “Best Cast Iron Work of Art” at the fair. The Balls purchased the gazebo. The gazebo was given to Minnetrista and is now the focal point of the rose garden.
The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is currently displayed in the garden at Oakhurst. The fountain was created in 1916 by Helen Farnsworth Mears. The statue is marked: “Helen Farnsworth Mears fecit 1916.” (“Fecit” is Latin for made.)
When Hermon Lee Ensing of Philadelphia died in 1899, founder of National Humane Alliance, he bequeathed money to place throughout the United States a series of water fountains for animals. By 1911 about 130 fountains had been erected in cities in 44 states. The granite fountains featured a bowl from which horses could drink as well as water spouts near the ground for dogs and cats. Originally placed at Five Points (Ohio, Kirby Macedonia, Burlington and Windsor) it was restored and moved to Heekin Park and rededicated in 1971.
Artist Paul Moore Fireflies was sculpted in 1995 and was cast in bronze. Paul Moore is a Fellow and Board Member of the National Sculpture Society. His work is in the U.S. Capital Collection and the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, both in Washington, DC. His sculptures have been collected by numerous municipal, corporate, private and international institutions.
The three statues are from the Courthouse which stood at 100 W. Main St. which was built in 1885 and razed in 1966. The Indian or Indian and His Dog and the two women Agriculture and Industry were carved on the Courthouse Square under a tent while the courthouse was being built. The three statues were kept safe by the Delaware County Historical Society at the farm of Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Stradling when the courthouse was razed in 1966. The three statues were later moved to the corner of Main and Walnut downtown.
The wrought iron Colonnade Gates were commissioned by William and Agnes Ball for their Westwood home. The Colonnade Gates are located near the end of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. The gates were designed and fabricated by Polish-born iron master Samuel Yellin.
The Colonnade Columns are the focal point of the Colonnade Garden at Oakhurst. The Colonnade Garden was constructed in 1993 and 1994. These columns originally graced the porte-cochere (to the right of the front portico) and the small porch to the left of the front portico of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. The house was destroyed by fire in 1967.