Created by Albin Polasek in 1930, Forest Idyll commonly referred to by students as the “naked Lady” the bronze statue facing the south entrance of Bracken Library on the campus of Ball State University. The Statue is a common meeting place for students and even groups on Ball State’s Campus.
The Fountain of Joy (or Rabbit Fountain) was originally located on the south side of the Frank C. Ball home, Minnetrista. It was moved to the home of Alexander and Rosemary Bracken after the 1967 fire. The fountain was given to Minnetrista in April 1998. It is currently displayed in the garden at Oakhurst. The fountain was created in 1916 by Helen Farnsworth Mears. The statue is marked: “Helen Farnsworth Mears fecit 1916.” (“Fecit” is Latin for made.)
The bronze sculpture of the chubby-cheeked little girl dangling two frogs by their feet and smiling up at the sky has become legendary at Ball State over the years as a good luck charm and a popular meeting place.
She was cast by the late American sculptor Edith Barretto Stevens Parson (American 1878-1956) between 1917-37. Muncie industrialist Frank C. Ball donated the sculpture, and she resided in the Ball State University Museum of Art for many years.
In the past, campus legend had it that if you rub her nose, you would have good luck on your next exam. However, with so many students caressing her nose, she became damaged and was packed away.
In 1993, Frog Baby was restored and placed in the middle of a fountain built on the north side of Bracken Library. The fountain is dedicated to the late Alexander M. Bracken, son-in-law of Frank Ball and a key player in Ball State’s rapid growth after World War II.
No one rubs her nose anymore, but students sometimes bundle her up with scarves and hats in the winter.
William H. & Agnes Metzger Ball built one of the first homes in what became known as Westwood, a housing development in west Muncie. In 1939, the Balls attended the World’s Fair in New York. There they saw a wrought iron gazebo which was designed by an artist working for the Nashville Foundry in Nashville, Tennessee. The gazebo won first place in the category “Best Cast Iron Work of Art” at the fair. The Balls purchased the gazebo. The gazebo was given to Minnetrista and is now the focal point of the rose garden.
A bronze sculpture by Leonard Crunelle (1872-1944) cast in 1915 and dedicated October 31, 1917. Base is of polished pink granite.
Organized graffiti artists use bridges and walls along the Greenway as their canvas.
Photo courtesy of The Star Press
Presented to the citizens of Muncie by Gallery 308. Sculpture by Artist Sally A. Myers
The 7 foot bronze sculpture was created in 1998 by Delaware County artist Kenneth G. Ryden. A winged sprite-like figure balances gracefully on a symbolic stack of books. The sculpture depicts the dawn of understanding as revealed in the awakened human intelligence.
Kenneth G. Ryden is a professional sculptor who has created many public monuments for institutions and municipalities as well as custom bronzes for private collections. He maintains a studio at his Yorktown residence.
Bronze sculpture created by Mabel Landrum Torrey in 1957.
Colored glass and light are combining to create a mammoth work of art in the foyer of Ball State’s Music Instruction Building. The unique 23-by-40-foot 3-D light painting by artist Stephen Knapp (American born 1947).
Art critics have called Knapp’s lightpaintings the first new art form of the 21st century. Some of his better-known, large-scale lightpaintings and glass sculptures include “Luminous Affirmations” in Tampa, Fla., and the “Crystal Quilt” in Lincoln, Nebraska.
After months of planning, Knapp constructed the lightpainting near his Worcester, Mass., studio. Once the lightpainting was tested, it was then dismantled, shipped and installed in the Music Instruction Building 2006.